Thursday, July 16, 2020

Glen Scotia - Night Two


For the second tasting of Glen Scotia 15-year, I thought I'd bring some friends along. The first companion is Balvenie's 12-year 'The Sweet Toast of American Oak'. The Balvenie joins tonight's party because like the Glen Scotia, it too was matured exclusively in American oak. The second friend - Talisker 10-year - joins the Balvenie because my dominant memory of Talisker is it being a spicy dram which is precisely the impression that dominated my first tasting of Glen Scotia.

Just as with the first tasting, I am recording impressions 'live' and will post with minimal editing at the conclusion of the tasting.

The Smell
Uh-oh... we have a problem. Smelling each whisky exposed an immediate flaw in my memory. I selected the Talisker because I remembered it to be a spicy malt, but as soon as I uncorked the bottle, I was reminded of what is almost certainly Talisker's most dominant note - peat. Isn't memory a funny thing, vivid yet often flawed. Oh well, the Talisker is poured, but I will avoid tasting it while tasting the other two for fear of the peat unfairly polluting my palate.

Glen Scotia - a bit more alcohol on the nose than I remembered, but there is also a candy-apple vibe this time around. Reminiscent of the smell emanating from a candy apple stall at the local fairs of my childhood; notes of caramel, boiling sugar, and yes, fresh apple. Incredible, tonight this whisky smells quite different than how it smelled to me the first night. Alongside the caramel, there is a candied-vanilla smell as well tonight, not like vanilla extract, but like a cream soda. 

Balvenie - less alcohol on the nose than the Glen Scotia. A very enticing sweetness with a hint of sawdust believe it or not. Citrus, specifically lemon and orange jump out as well. A faint vanilla, but this is more of a vanilla extract smell compared to the Glen Scotia's vanilla syrup vibe.

The Taste
Glen Scotia - There is that rush of spice that I remember from the first tasting. There is minimal fruit on the taste for me - spice and oak dominate. There is a passing impression that comes across every now and again that I just can't put my finger on. It is an impression that is frustratingly within my grasp, yet just beyond range of coming into focus. It is a dark, stewed fruit kinda impression, a bit similar to Cognac. I need more time with this malt...

Balvenie - The taste progression is pretty interesting and (overall) satisfying - a gentle alcohol harshness in the beginning then a strong lemon-peel impression and then a sweetness that reminds me of honey. Present throughout the sip is a smell of sawdust - think the smell of those old-school lumber yards that were cutting boards nearby. This is a dry sawdust smell, not a resign type smell.

The Finish
It's difficult to discuss the finish of each whisky when tasting two at a time. I'd say both have comparable finishes in terms of medium length and intensity, but it's difficult to say who is bringing what to this party.

Second Taste Overall
Well that was interesting - the nose of the Glen Scotia yielded some radically new impressions this time around. The taste however was quite similar to what I remember from night one. As for the head-to-head with the Balvenie, I'd say the Balvenie is more my speed in terms of experience - citrusy sweet vs the Glen Scotia's oaky spice. The biggest knock on the Balvenie is being a bit too prickly in terms of a youthful alcohol presence.  For the second tasting in a row, the spice level of the Glen Scotia remains my biggest criticism.

As an added bonus, just because I poured it, some Talisker 10 impressions. Peat on the nose along with a briny salt air like driving down a coastal road. The peat continues on the taste, but just as remembered, a good dollop of peppery spice accentuated by a gentle sweetness as well. The peat level is ~50% less than what I'd expect from an Ardbeg, but is similar in character. I'd say the finish of the Talisker is longer and more intense than either the Balvenie or Glen Scotia but in all fairness, the presence of peat really makes the Talisker's finish stand out and linger and could be skewing my impressions.

At least one more tasting of the Glen Scotia before I compare to any official tasting notes and reviews. I must admit, I have been supremely tempted to Google Glen Scotia to see what others have said about the malt, but I promise, I have resisted those urges. I remain blissfully in the dark regarding Glen Scotia.

No comments:

Post a Comment